Thursday 6 June 2013

Chinese Beansprout Salad

There are often times, usually a few days before the next grocery shopping trip is planned, were I start running out of fresh vegetables. At these times, beansprouts can be a lifesaver. I sprout my own, so the bag of dried beans is always sitting ready for me in my cupboard. It takes a bit of pre-planning, but beansprouts really help to stretch the last bits of fresh produce in my fridge until more can be bought. Did I mention that beansprouts are really healthy? Yeah, they contain protein, they're low in calories, and they've got tons of enzymes. Raw foodists love them because they're the most "live" food you can eat. (Unless you eat a live bug, but I don't think anyone really wants to do that on a regular basis.)

This is one way I enjoy beansprouts. They're also really good with some leftover roasted winter squash and peas.

Chinese Beansprout Salad

1 cup mung beansprouts
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 carrot, grated
1/2 cup sugar snap peas, chopped
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp organic tamari, nama shoyu, or coconut aminos
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger (or less, to taste)
pinch of red pepper flakes
optional: a few grinds of pepper (I like to put pepper in everything)

1. Whisk together the tamari, vinegar, oil, ginger, red pepper flakes, and optional pepper.
2. Combine the beansprouts, carrot, bell pepper, and sugar snap peas.
3. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment