This is one of my all-time favourite salads (although I love all salads with fruit, avocado and nuts). It's sweet, slightly creamy, fresh, crunchy, contains jicama, and is an absolutely gorgeous shade of pink!
This is my first dinner in my month-long raw food experiment, and it was delicious! I did have to eat about half of it before I was full, but I didn't mind one bit! I know tahini isn't raw (unless you specifically buy raw tahini), but I'm going to allow myself a few small cheats, as long as they're only condiments and I don't have them too often, or too much of them at once.
First of all, if you don't know how to segment an orange, here's how:
|first, slice off the top an bottom|
|then cut off the rind with a knife, cutting in a bit of a curve to|
get all the pith
|your orange should know look like this|
|cut the orange out from between the membrane|
I usually like to cut the orange segments in half so more bites have orange in them, but this is optional.
Magenta Dream Salad
2 bunches kale, thinly sliced
1 fennel bulb, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
2 medium-smallish beets, grated
1/2 small jicama, cut however you want (I can never figure out the best way to cut jicama for salad, so just do whatever you think is best. I cut it into flat squares)
|use about this much ginger, or more|
1 tsp grated ginger
1 avocado, thinly sliced, slices cut into quarters, the riper it is the creamier the salad will be
2 Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt
pepper, to taste
1 tsp honey, optional
2 Tbsp tahini
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (toast them if you're not eating raw)
1. Whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, tahnini, salt, pepper, honey (if using), ginger, and orange zest.
2. Put the kale in a bowl or on a large cutting board. Pour the dressing over it.
3. Cut the segments out of the oranges over the kale, so the juice falls on it. Once all the segments are cut, squeeze the remaining pulpy stuff so the juice falls on the kale, then discard.
4. Using your hands, squeeze the kale and mix it up with dressing; "massage" it.
5. Toss the kale with the fennel, beets, jicama, orange segments, and walnuts.
6. Eat it right away, or allow to marinate for stronger flavours and softer kale. Kale salads keep well without turning limp and soggy like lettuce salads.
This post has been shared with Healthy Vegan Fridays.